Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Vietnam - Beaches

After Hoi An, we took a hellish 12 hour bus ride to Nha Trang. Wish we had taken the sleeper train it's so much better! We arrived in Nha Trang on Tuesday morning and stayed through today, Friday. We hung out on the beach in comfy beach chairs. The ocean is pretty warm and calm in Nha Trang, so we went swimming a lot. It was very luxurious because people would walk by with delicious fruit and seafood, English books, drinks, and some even offered massages and manicures/pedicures. I've been eating the most glorious fruit! I also had crab and shrimp cooked for me right on the beach with a beer. I forgot to bring the camera with me to the beach.

Watermelon, banana, pineapple and dragon fruit
Nha Trang has about 300,000 people. It's starting to grow into a very popular resort area. Yesterday, Thursday, we went snorkeling for a couple of hours. We went with a dive boat and went to two different islands. We saw beautiful coral, which was starting to regenerate. A lot of it had been destroyed from dynamite fishing, which they stopped doing about 2 years ago. We saw all kinds of beautiful fish and some huge blue starfish. I love snorkeling!
This morning, we left for a much smaller beach town called Mui Ne. We are staying in a beautiful resort with our own little bungalow that's right on the beach. The courtyard we face has beautiful palm trees and plants. It's too wonderful to describe. The beach has tons of shells, but also a lot of trash. I want to go and clean the beach myself. I can't believe the amount of trash that is on the shores. It makes me sad.
Tonight we hired some motorbikes that took us to the most amazing local seafood restaurant. The restaurant is on stilts over the sea, so we could hear and watch the waves crashing. We ate fairly tame seafood such as clams, squid and fish soup with a few beers. After we ate we checked out the water tanks on the back wall and there was the most interesting and crazy sea creatures I'd ever seen. I don't' even know what it was...I tried to take pictures, but they didn't come out so well.
Well, I better get going. We will stay here through Sunday and then we will head to HCMC, for last minute panic souvenir shopping and to cry in our beers, because we are not ready to leave yet!

No comments: