Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Home Sweet Home

I've been in Himeji for six months! Going to Nagahama combined with the fact that I’ve lived here for 6 months, made me realize that I haven't traveled that much and I need to start making a list and traveling to nearby places. It’s easy to talk and plan to travel but actually traveling is much harder especially as you get involved with day-to-day life and of course the expense of it. I guess that’s true everywhere.

Buddha statue in a town near Lake Biwa (we saw it from the train)

Nagahama


Time will fly and before we know it, it will be time to leave. I love Japan and the thought of leaving is unbearable. The culture is so dense and there is so much to explore and learn. My enthusiasm has not waned. I was told that the honeymoon period with Japan would end 3-6 months after my arrival. Japan has not lost it’s luster yet, and I don’t think it ever will. It’s a gorgeous country with layers and layers of history and tradition and beauty!

Himeji Castle


I’m in love with every aspect even the frustrating stuff too. I’m realizing that I’m back at home, that these are my roots. All of the smells and tastes are very familiar to me and I’m very happy and comfortable here. I never realized how much of an impact Japan had on me until I returned.

Kyoto in September


1 comment:

Gwynne Sullivan said...

I could tell that Japan and the Japanese way was embedded in you when we were in Japan. I wrote a blog about how you fit right in, and how you and Yukiko looked like sisters walking along. How the subtle things in the way that you do things fits in well with Japan.
If people from different cultures are like puzzle pieces, it seems like other foriegners there try to find overlapping spots and fit them into the slots of the culture there, and your edges are much smoother. What a joy for you!